In 2012 MobileDance and East London Dance came together to deliver Postcards from East London. The project, conceived by Berlin based artist Jo Parkes, invites local artists to work with community groups to create short “moving postcards” of the area in which they live.
We selected a diverse range of participating groups located along ‘High Street 2012’ in Tower Hamlets. Each group worked with an artistic team involving a choreographer, film-maker, composer and assistant dance artist. Participants chose the sites where they wanted to make their films, including everything from a skate park to a chicken shop!
The result is a series of nine 60-second moving postcards in and around the bustling shops, parks, markets and housing of Tower Hamlets that reveal different viewpoints on this vibrant, diverse and rapidly changing part of east London.
The project was commissioned by High Street 2012, a programme to enhance and celebrate the ribbon of London life that connects the City in Aldgate to the Olympic Park in Stratford in the year of the London Olympics.
The films have received a huge amount of interest and have been screened at the following festivals:
- High Street 2012 Summer Safari – Queen Mary University, London
- POOL – Berlin, Germany (where Bancroft Library was screened during the awards ceremony and Angel Alley won an award – voted Pearl of POOL)
- Ex Dox Festival, CologneOFF – Cologne, Germany
- Cinedans – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- River Princess – London
- Desterri Videodance – Florianopolis, Brazil
- IMZ Dance on Screen 2013 – San Francisco, USA
- Dance Umbrella 2013
To see the films please visit our gallery