“The Fi.ELD fuelled my excitement to create work and gave me the skills to produce events in this crazy dance world – it taught me to aim for the top and keep going.”
Caldy Walton, The Fi.ELD 2014.
The Fi.ELD (Future Innovators: East London Dance) is a unique collective of emerging dance professionals developing essential skills to make their ideas happen.
We’re looking for young creatives with a burning passion to achieve their dance ambitions. That passion can take many forms: producing, choreography, community practice, dance and health, dance and technology, dance and science… Whatever it is, tell us about your exciting ideas so we can give you the skills, knowledge and experience to make them reality.
The training programme is designed and facilitated by a team of top industry professionals, with: Creative Director, Kate Scanlan (Scanner’s Inc.); Creative Producer, Kirsty Anderson-Tyrrell (East London Dance); and Facilitator, Vicki Igbokwe (Uchenna Dance).
Under their guidance and mentorship, you will gain in depth knowledge and have the opportunity to design, develop and deliver your own project ideas with investment from East London Dance.
About The Fi.ELD
The programme includes the following elements:
- The Residential: a weekend away to get to know your fellow Fi.ELDers, see professional work and launch the programme.
- The Know-How (monthly half day seminars): skills and knowledge development on topics such as Fundraising & Financial Management, Programming & Ideas Generation, Event Management, and Marketing & PR.
- The Studio (weekly Tuesday session): a free dance studio at Stratford Circus, which is programmed by The Fi.ELD for 1.5 hours a week for a six week period.
- Fi.ELD Trips: seeing a variety of productions and visiting multiple venues across London with networking opportunities.
- Hands On: professional experience in project management and teaching.
- The Pitch: pitch your ideas Dragon’s Den style for a small pot of financial investment. All funded projects will be produced by The Fi.ELD cohort creating a unique festival full of your own ideas!
- The Bursary: bursaries available to spend on professional development.
- The Fi.ELD Festival: programme, project manage and deliver your own ideas and get the public to engage with your work.
Who are we looking for?
The future of dance! You may run your own dance company, produce your own events, or be a dancer wanting to expand you experience and knowledge. All we ask is that you:
- Are a budding producer, teacher, choreographer, creative practitioner or entrepreneur.
- Are aged 16-25.
- Want to understand the dance industry beyond the studio and stage.
- Live or work in East London.
We are particularly keen to hear from people who are not in formal or full time education, employment or training. Please note we are unable to accept applications from people currently in full time university or equivalent education.
This programme can fast-track your career – are you ready?
The Fi.ELD is a big commitment and the schedule may grow throughout the year. You must be able to commit to 160 hours between March – November (please see the attached schedule for a guideline of dates. Dates may be subject to change).
If you need to boost your skills and networks then this is the right opportunity for you.
Invest in your future
In addition, East London Dance is asking for a contribution from each member of The Fi.ELD of £160, which can be paid in one go or across 8 monthly instalments. However, if this is going to be a difficulty for you please get in touch with us to talk about it as we have a small number of bursaries available.
How to Apply
Before applying, please make sure you have read all three downloadable documents (available below and in the green side bar):
- The FiELD 2017 Selection Criteria
- The Fi.ELD Project Delivery Schedule
- The FiELD 2017 Application Form
You can send us an application in writing or by video (please see specific instructions on the application form). Which ever option you chose please make sure you complete all sections required.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 15th March 2pm
Interviews: Saturday 25th March
Please email your application to email@example.com or post to Bryony Farrant-Davis, East London Dance, Stratford Circus Arts Centre, Theatre Square, London, E15 1BX.
The Fi.ELD is generously supported by the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation.